Published on May 9th, 2013 | by Nakia Tyler0
10 Fast Facts About Tourism
To celebrate and support the U.S. Travel Association’s National Travel & Tourism Week May 4-12, check out the following facts about local tourism:
1. 58.8% of travelers visiting Sioux City are here for vacation & leisure purposes. 25.1% are here to visit friends & relatives.
2. 55.1% of Sioux City travelers stayed overnight in a hotel or motel while they were here.
3. 48.8% of travelers were primarily interested in historical areas while visiting Sioux City. 39% were interested in museums. Another 39% were interested in scenic byways. And 32.4% were interested in national and state parks (multiple answers accepted).
4. Domestic travelers spent a total of $7.2 billion in Iowa during 2011, a 10.3% increase from 2010.
5. Transportation accounted for half of travelers’ expenses in 2011 at over $3.8 million, an increase of 17.2% over 2010.
6. Total travel-generated payroll in Iowa increased by 3.7% to $1.12 billion in 2011.
7. Total tax revenues generated grew 2.7% in Iowa from 2010 to $802.8 million.
8. Iowans traveling in Iowa spend an average of $382.86 per trip. Travelers from surrounding states traveling in Iowa spend an average of $592.27 per trip.
9. Travelers in Iowa spend an estimated $18 million a day.
10. Tourism employed over 62,000 people in the state of Iowa in 2012.
The goal of Travel & Tourism Week is to unite a community’s travel workers and supporters, and publicly represent the industry to media, elected officials and residents with a message that “travel matters” to this nation and to the local community.
For more facts and figures about tourism in the state of Iowa, visit www.traveliowa.com and click on the Industry Information link.